a quick and easy raw vegan nutella
Hooray! You can have a healthy raw version of chocolate hazelnut spread. Although I like this equally if it is made with either almonds or hazelnuts. You could also use pecans although you may need to add some extra sweetener.
This is delicious as a spread on sourdough and can also be used as a filling if you want to sandwich together the chocolate hazelnut cookies from my free raw cookie book.
This chocolate spread can be stored in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks, unless you choose to add more liquid like water or almond milk for a more spreadable consistency. It will come at the cost of shortening its shelf life in the fridge to just 5 days.
For a superquick raw nutella, try whizzing a few tablespoons of this raw chocolate sauce with the raw almond butter,using hazelnuts instead of almonds. If you add them together when they are both freshly made, it will be easier on your blender.
Once you have made the spread, try adding a couple of tablespoons of it to 11/2 cups of water for a quick chocolate nut milk. It’s a great little healthy milkshake for when you are on the go and all you might have is your personal blender. Take your jar of raw chocolate spread from your bag, add a couple of tablespoons to some Evian, whizz and you’re good.
- 140g (1 cup) dry hazelnuts or almonds
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 - 4 tablespoons water or almond milk (if needed - see note below)
- In a high speed blender, whizz together the dry nuts with the grapeseed oil until it forms a paste. This may take a couple of minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whizz until smooth.
- Then add the water/almond milk if you would like a runnier spread. Adding the liquid will significantly shorten the shelf life from 3 weeks to just 5 days (if kept in the fridge).