(Nut free, dairy free, vegan, coconut free)
This little cake is nut free and coconut free and is easily adaptable. If you don’t like oranges try it with peppermint instead of the orange extract, use lemon juice in the base instead of orange juice and omit the orange segments. Or you could just opt for the deep creamy chocolate fondant on its own.
NOTES: *To make buckwheatsicles: Sprout raw buckwheat by soaking it in pure water for 5 hours and then rinse frequently for about 2-3 days until the buckwheat grows little tails. Make sure you rinse a few times a day because the buckwheat can go slimy. Once it has sprouted, dehydrate the buckwheat at 115 degrees F for 10-14 hours until it has lots of crunch.
- For the base
- ⅔ cup buckwheatsicles* (or ⅓ cup sunflower seeds, dry and ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds, dry)
- ¼ cup and 2 tbsp oat flour
- 2 tbsp agave
- 2tbsp raisins, soaked for 20 minutes and drained
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp melted cacao butter
- For the fondant
- 4 medium sized very ripe avocados
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp orange extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ⅔ cup melted cacao butter
- 4 oranges, segmented and pith removed
- Grind the buckwheatsicles (or seeds) and oat flour until it forms a couscous like appearance.
- Add the agave, raisins, salt and orange juice and process on ‘pulse’ until well-combined.
- Add the melted cacao butter and mix again.
- In a blender, whizz the avocadoes, maple syrup, cacao powder, salt and orange extract until smooth.
- Blend in the melted cacao butter. Stir in the orange zest reserving a few strands for the garnish.
- Press the base mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch cake tin mould lined with baking parchment and place in the fridge or freezer to set.
- Layer the fondant onto the base, arrange the segmented oranges on the fondant and add another layer of fondant on top. You are aiming to sandwich a layer of orange segments between the two layers of fondant. This gives the dessert a lovely element of surprise.
- Place the cake in the freezer to set and leave it to firm up rather than freeze solid. Release the fondant with a knife around the edge of the mould. Decorate with orange segments, orange zest and other fruits of choice.