Sugar free, dairy free, gluten free, vegan
If you’re looking for an upgrade on your usual raw cheesecake, you might like to try this. It’s intense and warming with just the right amount of decadence to signify an occasion.
A word about cinnamon
Whenever I use cinnamon, I prefer to use Ceylon cinnamon (sometimes called true cinnamon) rather than Cassia cinnamon as it is sweeter and has lower levels of coumarin. Coumarin can lead to liver failure when consumed in high doses.
In Europe, most cinnamon is Ceylon cinnamon whereas in North America, the majority of the cinnamon sold is cassia. Do check the provenance of your cinnamon and if you cannot get Ceylon cinnamon, you can substitute with another sweet spice such as ground cardamom instead.
- 1 cup walnuts, dry
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup pecans, dry
- ¾ cup walnuts, dry
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1½ cups cashew nuts, soaked
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon good quality vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Ceylon cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lecithin granules (optional)
- ½ cup melted cacao butter
To make the candied walnuts
- In a bowl, coat the nuts with the maple syrup, salt and spice.
- Put onto Teflex sheets and dehydrate until dry to the touch (about 24 hours).
- Remove from the Teflex and continue to dehydrate until crunchy. Once these are completely dry, these can be stored in an airtight jar until needed.
To make the Cheesecake
- In a food processor, whizz the pecans, walnuts and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Pulse in the Medjool dates with 2 tablespoons water (if needed) until the mixture starts to hold together. Always add the water a little at a time. You may need less or more, depending on how finely you have ground the nuts.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8 inch cake tin lined with baking parchment. Chill until the base is firm.
- Make the cinnamon cheesecake mixture by blending together all the ingredients, streaming in the melted cacao butter last so it emulsifies. You are aiming for a cheesecake topping that is super silky smooth with no lumps or pieces of cashew.
- Pour the mixture over the chilled cheesecake base and place in the fridge or freezer until set. This may take 3-4 hours in the fridge and less in the freezer.
- Once set, remove from the tin and top with the candied walnuts and a dusting of cinnamon to serve.
If you love raw desserts and would LOVE to learn how to make all manner of delicious raw, vegan, gluten free treats such as raw sponge cakes (yes really), ice creams and iced desserts, cheesecakes, treat bars and a whole lot more, then you might be interested in joining me for SWEET ONLINE to gain your certificate in ESSENTIAL RAW PASTRY ARTS certified by The Vegetarian Society.
10 delicious modules, two months to complete the programme and gain your certificate.
This is what Jeannie Vorster had to say about it…
“I have done several international on site courses… loved all of them. Never really considered online course in the food line… however… just looking at the pictures from Deb’s site… I KNEW that I had to do the sweet online course… I ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF IT…. every recipe and tasting and presenting and experimenting. It was fun and tasty and creatively exciting. I own my own vegan health shop and catering business… we have a little factory and we produce many healthy treats on site for the shop… as I made the recipes in the courses, I put them in the shop and they are in such demand… such beauty, decadence… but healthy… I have been to California for courses, to organic farms, to Thailand cities and islands… & this was definitely one of my best courses EVER… Even if you know a lot – you learn more. Even if you know nothing… it’s easy enough to follow to learn a lot. Even if it’s for fun or business… it’s worth it. Thank you Deb. Love LOVE LOVED it xxx