It’s been raining constantly over the weekend and although it’s the first of May tomorrow, it feels pretty wintery and un-Spring like here in the Forest of Dean. So this morning I needed comfort food yet something sustaining too. It took the form of a nut smoothie – this one is rich, filling and nutritious and really creamy too yet it’s dairy free.
I have a high speed blender but if you don’t have a high speed blender you could instead grind dry hazelnuts in a coffee grinder to take the pressure off your blender before adding to the rest of the mix.
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, soaked or ground
- 1 cup water
- 1 banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
- If soaking: soak the hazelnuts for an hour, throw away the soak water and rinse well…or grind them to a fine powder.
- Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.