(Dairy free, gluten free, vegan)
Crumbly shortbread, rich toffee balanced with apples and dark chocolate. This will be a recipe you’ll want to come back to time and time again. Also, I’ve always found that baking has a fair few uncertainties around it – which is another reason to love these slices.
If you love these and would love to learn more about raw desserts and treats, take a look at Sweet, my online raw desserts training programme. There’s a whole section on bars and treats like this.
TOFFEE APPLE SLICES
Lining the tart tin with cling film or baking parchment will make the shortbread easier to remove. The setting time for these is 1-2 hours.
For the biscuit base:
- 2¼ cups cashew nuts
- ¾ cup raw dried coconut flakes
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons melted coconut oil
For the apple layer:
2 cups dried apple slices – I buy the slightly chewy variety
For the toffee sauce:
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons agave
- 12 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 12 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 Medjool dates, stones removed
- 1 ½ teaspoons mesquite (Peruvian carob)
- A good pinch of sea salt
For the chocolate layer:
- ½ cup cacao butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons agave
- 1 ½ teaspoons Peruvian carob Pinch of sea salt
Alternatively, melt your favourite dark chocolate bar.
- Start by making the shortbread. In a food processor, grind the cashew nuts and the coconut flakes to a powder. In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together, except the melted coconut oil. Add the melted coconut oil and combine until the mixture starts to stick together. Press the shortbread into the bottom of the tin lined with cling film. Leave in the fridge or freezer to firm up. In the meantime, make the toffee sauce.
- In a blender, whizz all the ingredients for the toffee sauce until smooth. Remove the shortbread from the freezer and add a layer of the dried apple slices and pour over the toffee sauce. Return the shortbread with toffee apples to the fridge or freezer to set.
- Whilst this is setting, make the chocolate topping. Melt the cacao butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water. When melted stir in the cacao powder, agave syrup and mesquite (Peruvian carob). Mix well. When the toffee has set, pour the melted chocolate layer over the top and return to the fridge or freezer until set firm. Alternatively, pour over your favourite melted chocolate bar and leave in the freezer to set.
- Cut into squares or slices to serve.
Let me teach you to become a Raw Pastry Chef in 10 days…
“I ABSOLUTELY LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF IT
I have been to California for courses, to organic farms, to Thailand cities and islands and this was definitely one of my best courses EVER. Even if you know a lot – you learn more. Even if you know nothing, it’s easy enough to follow to learn a lot. Even if it’s for fun or business… it’s worth it. Thank you Deb. Love LOVE LOVED it!”
Jeannie Vorster, Fruitful Living Health Shop, South Africa