Deliciously Raw Culinary School Academy
Raw Chef Level I
A 4 day intensive training with Raw Chef Deborah Durrant
Deliciously Raw Studio, Harts Barn, Gloucestershire, UK
Places limited to only 4 participants per training event.
Please see the forthcoming events calendar here for dates.
“Deborah Durrant’s patience and generosity of spirit shine through on all the courses she offers. She finds a way to share her immeasurable wealth of knowledge in a way that is easy to understand no matter what level you are at on your raw food journey – beginner or advanced. She thoroughly understands her subject and imparts it in a way that can be transferred and applied very practically in your own life. She doesn’t just teach ‘recipes’ she trains you to know what ingredients and components are needed to recreate your favourite cooked dishes – she instils you with the knowledge, knowhow and intelligence to go forth and start creating – rather than just copying. Her teaching style is light hearted and well thought out and she layers information to make sure it is easily retained. A true inspiration. I highly recommend her courses”
Feast One is Level 1 of the Deliciously Raw Chef Training Academy.
Feast One, Level 1 is an intensive programme providing you with all of the training and technical know-how you need so that you can put together your own deliciously raw food that takes you way beyond chopped salads, guacamole and dips. During this training you will learn how to make breakfasts, a range of fermented foods such as water and coconut kefir, fermented veggies, fermented tree nut cheeses, plus main meals and treats such as banana split, cookies and chocolate truffles.
Why Feast One, Level 1 is different
It is 4 days of ‘total immersion’ hands-on raw chef training where you will have your own workstation and learn about the raw food pantry, a whole range of different techniques and recipes. Plus you will learn how to get the most out of raw food kitchen essentials such as a masticating juicer, high speed blender and a dehydrator… plus the basics of fermentation. 4 days is long enough to learn some really fantastic new skills which can help to transform how you eat, forever.
It’s 35 hours of hands on tuition and you get your own workstation and equipment (it is not a demo based class nor do you chop carrots for hours). A practical experience is so useful if you’ve ever taken part in online programmes but really yearn for personal support, or would like to experience ingredients first hand and discover what you can substitute if you can’t find certain ingredients. Some ingredients can be so hard to find so you can come and experiment and taste them for yourself to see if you like them before spending lots of a money on a pantry that is hardly used.
Class sizes are limited to just 4 people. This means that you have lots of personal support. It also means there is nowhere to hide, so it’s time to step out of your comfort zone.
Feast One, Level 1 takes place in a professional permanent raw culinary production kitchen, not a pop up raw food school or training kitchen. You can get to see how it runs and how it’s set up. This may give you some ideas on how to establish your own.
Over the four days, you be will be shown how to make a range of different dishes and you will learn about the ingredients – not just recipes. This gives you freedom in the kitchen and the ability to open the fridge and have choice about what to make when you get home.
There will be emphasis on plating techniques and how to make your food look attractive. We eat with our eyes too, don’t we?
You can eat 100% raw and plant based for 4 days – breakfast, lunch, evening meal, juices and snacks (it’s all taken care of and included in the price) and you will be glowing by the end – better skin, better nails, more energy and you will really feel the benefit. Not only is it useful training, it’s a great kick start to a whole new you.
You will make lots of delicious raw snacks and treats to take home to help you on your raw food journey after the training.
You leave with a Raw Chef Level 1 Certification, approved by the Vegetarian Society, UK.
You have exclusive membership of the Deliciously Raw Academy Chef Forum – a place to continue to ask questions and share with your colleagues after the training.
Feast One, Level 1 is likely to be for you if:
- You love raw food and would now like to expand your repertoire
- You would like to understand the range of raw food ingredients and how they perform in recipes so you can choose which ingredients to use, and what you can substitute to achieve the best results
- You have taken part in raw food training programmes before, perhaps online, and would now like a practical experience in a supported environment to help you put your knowledge into practice
- You’ve read raw food recipe books, you have made some food and had variable results – it’s time to raise your game.
- You know there’s more to raw food than salad and cheesecake (although both have their place and can be lovely)
- You’ve been making raw food for a while but would like to add a bit of va va voom to your lifestyle
- You want to impress and WOW your friends and family or encourage your family to eat more fruit and veg
- You are an aspiring or practicing raw food coach, nutritionist or health professional who wants to expand their repertoire and show people just how fabulous raw plant based food can really be.
- You know it’s your time to do this…because if you don’t do it now, you will keep putting it off. It’s time to live the lifestyle of your dreams.
MEET YOUR TRAINER
The training will be led by Deborah Durrant, a qualified chef in advanced raw and living cuisine. Deborah combined her interests as a lifelong passionate foodie with a keen interest in a raw plant-based diet to found Deliciously Raw. After working in the creative sector for 25 years she followed her dream to train as a chef at the Matthew Kenney Culinary School and wants to break the myth that raw food is about eating boring salad and show you can enjoy fabulously indulgent food with many nutritional benefits.
Deborah holds a Masters degree in Change Skills from the University of Surrey. This may seem surprising but this is at the heart of Deborah’s practice as a chef. With every healthy plantbased bite that we eat, we are committing to making a change to our health and wellbeing.
WHY WORK WITH ME?
All modesty aside, if you’ve tried any of my recipes already you’ll know that everything I make is delicious first and raw second. If you haven’t tried any of my recipes, you can try any of the free recipes on my website to get a flavour (sorry, no pun intended) of the kind of food I make. Since 2005, I tried to eat a high raw diet, but I kept returning to my most favourite cooked foods. What changed things for me was learning how to make the most amazing and delicious raw foods that taste so good that people don’t even think about the fact that they are raw.
I pride myself on making raw twists on cooked classics, and my family and friends prefer the raw foods I make, finding them much more satisfying and full of flavour. I have also developed 8 course raw tasting menus for pop ups and other events and had the pleasure of being a personal chef for private fine dining clients.
I trained as a Chef with Matthew Kenney Culinary in the US (previously named 105 degrees), and I am a Qualified Chef in Advanced Raw and Living Cuisine. I am one of very few people in the world to have completed Matthew’s Professional Applications programme. What that means for you is that I can teach you some pretty cool techniques. If you don’t know Matthew, he founded Pure Food and Wine in New York and MAKE in Santa Monica, and currently has Plant Food and Wine in Venice, CA, White Lotus Miami and The Gothic in Belfast Maine. I worked at the Gothic in Maine after my training and can also bring to our work the experience of a professional kitchen. Matthew also has a string of raw food books to his credit. I really am proud to say that I have trained with the best.
“I have yet to meet anyone as infinitely creative with decadent raw food recipes as Deborah Durrant. Deborah possesses a talent for creating new and incredibly inspired recipes as effortlessly as breathing, and yet to the uninitiated her talent can seem unfathomable. For anyone who is looking to take their raw food recipes to the next level, whether for personal gratification alone (and of course impressing friends and family) or for high-level professional development, then Deborah is one of just a very few people in the UK I would wholeheartedly recommend without hesitation.”
Karen Knowler, “The Raw Food Coach”
“To work with Deborah has been one of my greatest experiences since starting with raw cuisine. She is truly a ‘Raw Food Wizard’, with an intricate knowledge and intuition when it comes to raw food! I was fortunate enough to attend her DESSERT training in 2013 and FEAST in 2014. And I went back home not only with binders full of delicious recipes, but with so much additional information and insight. I am still in awe about what I learned in just a few days.
Deborah is a wonderful, warm and vibrant person, and she is very passionate when it comes to preparing and presenting food. And she is able to infuse us with this passion. She cares about our progress and is able to share all her knowledge in a simple and easy way, thus allowing each and every one to follow along, be it raw food novice or seasoned raw food enthusiast. I loved the open, relaxed atmospheres during the courses. Thank you Deborah, you are a wonderful teacher. I am still in awe about what I learned in just a few days…”
Monika Wacker, Switzerland
Day one is all about getting the fundamentals right, breakfasts and fermented foods. You will, start the day by being introduced to the raw food kitchen and all the equipment, learn to make 8 different nut and seed milks and taste them all to understand the flavour profile and flour yield of each – and how you might use them. Then you will create your own granola from a blueprint that will work every time, learn which sugars dehydrate to get different textures, make different textured fermented tree nut cheeses (soft, medium and firm). You will also learn to make kefir, sprout and fermented veggies.
- Green juice
- The Deliciously Raw Kitchen
- Kitchen etiquette
- Overview of equipment and ingredients
- The principles of building nut milks and smoothies
- Tasting 8 different nut milks to understand the flavour profile/nut flour yield
- Making your own signature granola
- Cheese fermentation and gaining different textures
- Vegetable fermentation
- Creating Water Kefir and secondary fermentation
- A guide to sprouting
- Supper to go: Creating noodles and cream sauces: Spaghetti carbonara
On day two you start by learning the art of making a delicious smoothie (OK, so it is actually about balancing flavours and it’s a bit harder than chucking it in a blender), ferment coconut yoghurt from Thai coconuts, make coconut kefir and learn the art of plating a salad and making a fabulous dressing, learn to make cookies and also practice your knife skills. Did we mention ice cream?
- Green juice
- Smoothie making
- Coconut yoghurt
- Coconut kefir and secondary fermentation
- Elegant appetisers and the art of plating a salad
- Citrus ricotta ravioli and creating a herb oil
- Creating your own signature cookies
- Creating crisp and delicate crackers
- Creating plant based ice cream
- Supper to go: Singapore Noodles
Day three is when people start getting out the take away boxes as there is too much to eat – it’s a day of main meals. You start by making a coconut mont blanc and spend the day making some inspiring main meals and a range of really rich tomato sauces that no one can ever believe are raw. And pizza. And you flavour your tree nut cheeses ready for your cheese plates. Oh and there’s banana splits to plate.
- Green juice
- Coconut Mont Blanc
- Flavouring tree nut cheeses: preparing ‘goats’ tree nut cheese and ‘cheddar’
- Four Tomato sauces: Marinara, Arrabiata, Neopolitan, Aurora
- Brasil nut miso parmesan
- Garden Pizza
- Banana Split with ice cream, chocolate sauce and raspberry sauce
- Supper to go: Pad Thai
Day four focuses on some classic raw comfort foods such as soup, cheese, curry and chocolate. You learn the art of warming raw soup making and how to make raw stocks. You make a range of soups which you have for lunch. Plus a thai green curry, coconut cauliflower rice and hot and sour salad. You create an elegant tree nut cheese plate which will be sure to impress your friends and family. We finish with making the most delicious raw cacao truffles that will satisfy any chocolate craving you have, every single time.
- Green Juice
- The building blocks of raw soups
- Soup making and tasting
- Thai curry, coconut cauliflower rice, hot and sour salad
- The art of the tree nut cheese plate
- Creating a quick chutney
- Creating an elegant cheese plate
- Cheese plate presentations
- Chocolate truffles
At the end of the training you will:
- Have the knowledge and technical know-how to make a range of meals for breakfast to evenings, appetisers, lunches, snacks and fermented drinksHave learned how to make your own signature dishes including granola, cookies, crackers and truffles and packaged what you can to take home.
- Gained valuable knowledge on the purposes of different raw ingredients so you can put together your own raw creations.
- Have gained over 60 new recipes and know how to vary the recipes to suit different palates
- Gained confidence in plating techniques and learned some valuable tricks of the trade
- Be in no doubt that you can make raw comfort food whenever you want to
- WOW your family and friends with a choice of healthy recipes for every occasion
- If you’re a raw food professional, take your skills to a whole new level and have a whole new level of inspiration
- Know what to keep in your raw food pantry, and how best to store it
- Take away your own hand made and hand wrapped granola, biscuits, crackers, truffles, fermented veggies and bottled kefir!
- Receive a Deliciously Raw Chef Level 1 Certificate approved by The Vegetarian Society.
On passing your final assessment, you will be eligible to move to Level Two of the Academy and be able to join Feast Two.
By attending Feast, I now have all the knowledge of what equipment to use. I know how to adapt recipes to suit my own taste and I’ve learned the skills to present elegant plates of food. Deb is a relaxed trainer, clearly passionate about what she does and willing to share her secrets to make raw food delicious. This is the best start to raw food imaginable. I now have the confidence to invite friends round for raw dinner parties and can’t wait! I’ll certainly be attending more of Deb’s Deliciously Raw courses!”
What’s included in the chef training?
- 35 hours of hands on raw food training over 4 days
- Raw plant based breakfast, lunch and evening meal for 4 days
- Raw snacks and refreshments for 4 days
- Your own workstation with equipment such as food processors, blenders and mandolins (not a demo based class)
- All ingredients for the training
- An ‘I’m delicious’ chefs apron to take away and use after the training
- A recipe binder which has frequently been referred to by participants as their ‘raw food bible’ containing 60 recipes and an essential how to guides for flavor balancing, sprouting, making raw flours, making date paste, making pesto, fermenting tree nut cheeses, making a good dressing and so much more..
- Truffles, granola and cookies to go – plus your own kefir grains to make your own water kefir.
- A Deliciously Raw Chef Level 1 Certificate approved by The Vegetarian Society.
- Exclusive membership of the Deliciously Raw Academy Chef Forum – a place to continue to ask questions and share with your colleagues after the training.
The only training you need for the knowledge for your raw food journey. It will give you the confidence and the knowhow. Deb was excellent and very informative with a relaxed atmosphere. The course is very hands on. Deb explains and demonstrates throughout the whole course from recipes for breakfast, lunch, supper and treats. By the end of the course you will have a great understanding about flavour combinations, presentation and of course, raw food. Thanks Deb you are the best!
Debbie Pryce, Shrewsbury, UK
I’ve attended a number of different raw food courses and workshops over the years but nothing quite like Feast. To be fully immersed in raw food for 5 days with a passionate and inspired chef like Deb is truly a life changing experience. For anyone who’s been thinking about doing something like this for a while, I would say just go for it! The course was so much more than I could ever have imagined and the knowledge gained absolutely invaluable. My Feast manual has become my raw food bible and constant companion in the kitchen. The best part is, not only did I learn so many new recipes and techniques, but more importantly I gained the confidence and knowledge to start creating my own raw food recipes. And all of this whilst having loads of fun and
spending time with a fantastic group of like minded people. I can’t wait to do it all again and will definitely be back for the Sweet and Pastries training
Cheryl Thomson | www.cherylskitchen.co.uk
Deborah is not only teaching us to make DELICIOUS recipes, but we are learning to create our own “signature” recipes… Well she’s showing us how to be a Chef, not only a “cook”! I just LOVED both training DESSERTS & FEAST Count on me for level II!”
Carole Zuccatti Geneva, Switzerland www.cours-cuisine-geneve.ch
I have to admit I felt slightly guilty investing in Deb Durrant’s Feast Course. As I was already a Certified Raw Food Chef could I justify it to myself and more importantly my partner? I really wasn’t sure what I’d get out of the course especially as Deb had already given me loads of free advice. Sod it. I loved Deb and her food and wanted to go. So I went anyway. What I got was an amazing 5 days in a really tranquil setting surrounded by like minded people. All I had to do was enjoy myself messing with food, playing with ideas with no pressure to create the perfect product. It was just indulgent playtime. It is so worthwhile investing, time, money and energy sharing with people who are on a similar path. An unfamiliar ingredient is mentioned and a whole knew train of thought is generated. A huge unexpected gain was learning about the fine dining aspect of raw food. I had sort of dismissed it as not really being for me and not something I could use in my own business. How wrong was I? I loved the plating and realised how incredibly useful it is. Anyone who is selling food needs to be able to make it look good. Have you seen some of Deb’s photos? She knows how to do it and although it might take a bit more practice before I can kneel at her photographic altar I now have some idea. Thanks Deb. Loved it.”
Rosie Tait www.livinghigh.co.uk
Deliciously Raw Culinary Studio, Harts Barn Cookery School, Longhope, Gloucestershire, UK.
Set in the Gloucestershire/Herefordshire borders UK, with the ancient Forest of Dean on your doorstep and its is only a few miles from Wales and the breath-taking Wye Valley.
Due to the location of the studio, it is advisable for you to bring a car so you can get the most out of visiting this beautiful and rural location. However, participants without transport often bring or hire bicycles or team up with others who have brought cars for trips and travel to local accomodation. There is a local bus service and taxi firms to help you get around.
Please see the events calender to see the dates of forthcoming trainings.
PLEASE SELECT PREFERRED COURSE DATE DURING CHECKOUT
Refund Policy: The first 20% of the course fee (s) is deemed as a non-refundable deposit and will be payable in the event of the participant cancelling their place on the programme. For an 80% refund, cancellation must be made at least twelve weeks prior to the start of the programme. For a 50% refund, cancellation must be made at least eight weeks prior to the start of the programme. For a 25% refund, cancellation must be made at least four weeks prior to the arrival date. If a participant cancels within four weeks of the start date of the programme, the total payment is non-refundable.