Sugar free, dairy free, vegan
I am aware that I am still hankering for the sweet and creamy flesh of mangos and this Spring I appear to be trying them in everything from cheesecake and sorbets to salad and salsa.
This tropical salsa really hits the spot when the weather is so warm and makes a delightful and more refreshing alternative to a traditional tomato salsa. As with the mango salad with pistachio dressing , the mangos really do have to be ripe for this salsa to be worth making. I am loving the Alphonso mangos at the moment which around from April until June.
In this recipe, the sweetness of the mango and pineapple combines really well with the red onion and fragrant coriander leaf (cilantro), plus the chilli adds a layer of heat.
This is a fabulous salsa to have as an accompaniment – or to serve with crackers, nachos, falafel or bean burgers – or as part of a salad.
- ½ cup ripe mango, fine diced
- ½ cup ripe pineapple, fine diced
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaf (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red onion, brunoised
- 1 fresh chilli, brunoised
- The juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil and salt.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and season to taste.