quick, easy, plant-based milk - no need to soak
Whilst many nut and seed milks require some kind of preparation, hemp seed milk, made from shelled hemp seeds (sometimes called hemp hearts) does not. This makes it an ideal choice if you would like a fresh home-made milk but have forgotten to soak any nuts. It’s also a great little plant milk for when you are on the move when all you have with you is your personal blender.
This recipe doesn’t include any sweetener but if you would prefer a sweeter milk, you could stir in a drop of stevia or one teaspoon of your sweetener of choice such as agave, rice malt syrup or honey.
Hemp seeds are high in protein and contain the 10 essential amino acids that your body needs. They also have a high ratio of omega 3 fats which help brain and liver function.
Be sure to use the shelled hempseed for this, not the whole seeds with husks.
- 1/3 cup shelled hemp seeds (hemp hearts)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Using a high-speed blender, whizz all the ingredients together until smooth.
- There is no need to strain this milk as the shelled hemp seeds should combine into the milk making it rich and creamy.
- Chilling this will help it to thicken into a rich and creamy milk.